Equitable Medical Care for Everyone in Indiana
Damien Center is committed to providing the highest quality medical and behavioral health to all patients, regardless of their ability to pay.
Sliding Fee Scale Discount Program
To apply for the Health Center’s Sliding Fee Scale, you must have a household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
Ryan White Sliding Fee
To apply for the Ryan White Sliding Fee Scale, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be living with HIV
- Be a resident of Indiana
- Have a household income at or below 500% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
Please visit our Ryan White Services page to apply and learn more.
A sliding fee scale is a discount on your healthcare offered if your income and family size meet a certain threshold.
The Health Center Sliding Fee Scale offers discounts to any patient with an FPL of under 200%.
The Ryan White Sliding Fee Scale offers discounts to patients that have active Ryan White enrollment and an FPL under 500%.
For people with active Ryan White enrollment, the Ryan White Program provides additional benefits to ensure that you are not overwhelmed by healthcare costs. We will continue to bill your insurance, but your deductible, co-insurance, and co-pay will be discounted to the nominal fee according to your placement on Ryan White Sliding Fee Scale.
Yes, because if you qualify, you may pay less than your insurance cost-sharing for your services. We will continue to bill your insurance, but your deductible, co-insurance, and co-pay will be discounted down to your approved rate.
The amount you pay will depend on the service you receive and your Federal Poverty Level. Please see the Sliding Fee Scale table to determine your amount due.
- Completed Application (see link above)
- Valid Photo ID
- Proof of Address
- Proof of Household Income
We base eligibility on the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). This percentage is calculated based on two (2) factors:
- Gross Income – this is the amount of money you make each year before taxes. This includes salary, unemployment benefits, disability or social security benefits, investment income, or other sources of income that support your household.
- Family Size – this includes legal children, a civil union partner or married spouse, and legal dependents that are living together.
We will accept the following supporting documentation for proof of income:
- Most recent Federal Tax Return
- 4506T - requests for transcript of tax return, verification of non-filing
- 30 days of pay stubs
- Other income which includes the following: social security, public assistance, retirement pensions, food stamps, child support, alimony, interest income, and other verifiable forms of income
- For the Sliding Fee Scale Discount Program, you must re-apply every year or anytime your financial status changes.
- For the Ryan White Sliding Fee Scale, you must apply every 6 months.
- For the Hardship Assistance Program, you must re-apply every time you receive a bill and cannot pay it.
Patients will receive a decision letter via e-mail with more information, explanation of discount, and instructions for appealing if they did not receive an initial approval while meeting with a Patient Financial Counselor.
Please email us at [email protected] with any questions or visit the front office at any Damien Center service location.
Hardship Assistance Program
Financial Assistance, also called "charity care" is a partial or total discount available to all patients who demonstrate a Financial Hardship and are unable to pay their medical bills, regardless of insurance status.
Damien Center has a commitment to respect for each person’s dignity with a special concern for those who struggle with barriers to access healthcare services. It is our policy that patients who are unable to pay for all or part of the services required to maintain their care regimen do not fall out of care which is why we have developed our Hardship Assistance Program.
We will follow a financial clearance process to determine if a patient meets the requirements for this program or if they may qualify for other forms of financial assistance. Patients will need to submit an application and supporting documentation which will be used to determine need. In addition, patients will be expected to contribute to the cost of their care based on their ability to pay. Individuals with the financial capacity to maintain affordable coverage will be encouraged to do so to ensure access to future healthcare services.
Ensuring that all our patients medically necessary health care services are provided is paramount to Damien Center. We recognizing the need to maintain the dignity of the patient and family during the process and all applications are kept confidential.