Volunteer Spotlight: Alden
National Volunteer Month
April 20, 2021
April is National Volunteer Month and this week we’re spotlighting Alden Oakes.
Alden hasn’t been volunteering with Damien Center for very long, but his enthusiasm and commitment are apparent to everyone he meets. Keep reading to learn more about Alden and his volunteer experience with Damien Center.
- How long have you been volunteering at Damien Center? Since December 2020
- What are some of the activities that you help with while volunteering at Damien Center? I have helped with the Safe Sex Kit assembly, community clean ups, and reception during Saturday HIV and STD Testing hours.
- What’s one thing that you have learned from your volunteer experience? I have learned important lessons of how to work with others from different backgrounds to achieve a singular goal.
- What advice would you give to someone who is a new volunteer? Be flexible and be willing to do what's needed. Volunteering isn't about getting attention; it is about doing what needs to be done.
- What has been the most memorable moment in your time volunteering? Why? Some of the group times assembling safe sex kits because I was able to interact and learn from my fellow volunteers.
You can join Alden and the many other volunteers who give their time Damien Center by clicking the link below or by contacting Tessa Barnard, Volunteer Manager, at [email protected].